For more than 130 years, the publishing industry and the communities it serves have looked to Bowker® for meaningful and authoritative industry information. As technology has advanced, so have the ways in which Bowker can gather, supply, and enhance that information with an ever increasing focus on the needs of the markets we serve.
We have provided a simple time-line below, detailing the many milestones that make up Bowker's rich history. Talk to us about where we've been and where we hope to go. Your perspective and feedback could be pivotal to our next great milestone.
- 1872: Publishers Weekly® founded
- 1873: The Publishers Trade List Annual published
- 1880: The American Catalog published
- 1932: Ulrich’s International Periodicals Directory™ published
- 1948: Books In Print® published
- 1967: Xerox Corporation acquires Bowker
- 1968: Bowker becomes the U.S. ISBN Agency
- 1985: Reed International acquires Bowker
- 1986: Books In Print® ON DISC introduced
- 1999: ulrichsweb.com® launched
- 2000: BooksInPrint.com® launched
- 2000: GlobalBooksInPrint.com® launched
- 2001: Cambridge Information Group acquires Bowker
- 2002: Barnes & Noble designates Books In Print® database of record
- 2002: Bowker acquires Pubnet®
- 2003: Ulrich’s Serials Analysis System™ launched
- 2003: Bowker acquires PubEasy®
- 2003: Bowker acquires Simba Information®
- 2004: PatronBooksInPrint.com™ is launched
- 2004: Bowker acquires Monument Information Resource™ (MIR)
- 2004: Bowker acquires Syndetic Solutions™
- 2005: Bowker debuts Ulrich's Resource Linker™
- 2005: Bowker introduces Bowker's Book Analysis System™ with H.W. Wilson
- 2006: Fiction Connection™ readers advisory tool is launched
- 2006: Resources for College Libraries™ database of core titles is launched
- 2007: Bowker launches PubTrack™ suite of business intelligence tools
- 2007: Syndetic Solutions™ launches Syndetics ICE™ search tool
- 2007: Non-Fiction Connection™ readers advisory tool is launched
- 2007: Bowker acquires Medialab Solutions, developer of AquaBrowser® Library
- 2008: Bowker launches MyIdentifiers.com comprehensive identifier services site
Find an Account Rep
Sign up for our e-newsletter
Sign up for training
Find Answers Now in the Support Center
Find answers to questions about our products, admin systems, and customer accounts.
Search the Bowker Support Center
75 years of Microfilm!
ProQuest is celebrating the 75th anniversary of microfilm. To commemorate this milestone, we have created a comic book that tells the story of microfilm in true superhero fashion.